Sunday, September 1, 2013

Life as a Teacher...

You know, when I was younger, I never went through that phase where I wanted to be a teacher...I can say it hasn't been as bad as I thought it might be.  We have good days, we have bad days. But, most days, I feel like this is where we are supposed to be right now.  L and N were at Dollywood for 4 days with their grandparents about 10 days back; I picked them up last Sunday.  That made for a HARD day last Monday--getting back into the routine.

Last Thursday, L told me, "I am starting to get used to this homeschool thing."  Then Friday it was attitude out the wazoo.  Some days it is truly moment to moment.  I am not sure how much the children are learning but WOW! I am learning a great deal. I don't think I have ever prayed this much in my life.

September, for us, is a full month.  Lots of soccer games, camping one weekend, and several homeschool activities.  Tuesday I start baby-sitting during LBC again.  I am slightly nervous but thankful for the opportunity. What other job is available where I make $25 an hour while bringing along my four children and their books? Plus our friends, the Troupes, will be there too and L was excited about seeing Chris weekly when I asked him if he might be interested.

The money will be a blessing and it isn't that long. If it is a disaster, I will not do it in the Spring.

 Spelling out letters with these two.  I spend more time filling up their workboxes then big brothers. J is hit or miss about doing his stuff but M goes through every single box (not in order!)  They are usually done with their stuff in less then an hour but I know they enjoy it.  With J, I am working on cutting, coloring, and identifying the letters in his name.  He is also working on number recognition.

I still have M using the special pencils. He is doing a Reading Eggs online program that he LOVES and is a whiz at math. We haven't quite made the leap to reading yet, he is very good at memorizing but not at recalling. I am going to try and work with him on sight words this week.

Last weekend, we worked with both boys on their bikes. M is learning to ride without training wheels and J is learning to ride a 16 inch without Mommy pushing him. It is a work in progress.

Once a week, so far, we have gotten together with the Troupes. They match up in age with my kids perfectly (except for N--their son is 1 year younger then him but they still play well).  Last Tuesday, we went to the mountain Children's Playground and then on a nature walk. At their old school, my children kept "Nature Notebooks" so my hope is to do that at least once a month.  They each picked a bush (L Witch hazel, N Coral Bells) and we brought it home and they illustrated it in their notebook.  N is really into painting right now, I am hoping to get him some nicer brushes and water colors this week since Handsome has gotten paid.

I thought this picture of Lily was too cute. She is the only girl in the mix and 2 months younger then my J.  All of the boys are looking at a frog, she asked me to take her picture.


L with his nest. Our science is all about flying animals and last week we did the chapter on nests.  One of the suggested activities that I had not picked was to make a nest for yourself so L asked if he could do it.  This is a "Scrape Nest."

Ummm...big mess.  I did this the third day of school and haven't repeated it. :) I am trying to do some fine motor stuff so hopefully J will be the ONLY one without handwriting issues.   I am going to begin work on trying to procure OT for N and M this week. I have been praying a lot about it, we do not have the money to pay for it out of pocket.  At times I wonder if there is some basic skill that I am NOT teaching my boys--that each of them writing so far would have trouble with grasping a pencil.

Prayerfully, we will have a good week. They are not too excited about doing school on Labor Day but it is going to be a busy time.

Blog Archive

About Me

Sometimes life happens and I don't do so good of a job communicating with my sweet spouse. This blog lets him know what is going on at home and it helps me have someone to "talk to" on nights he is busy with work :) Although only Handsome officially knows about my little hobby, I do use nicknames and initials for my kids.