Well, you win some and you lose some. Overall, this week has been a success. We have gotten our hours in and, for the last two days, I have been able to refill the workboxes during the day (not having to do it at 10 p.m. at night!) I wouldn't say we are in a routine but we are coming along.
Tuesday, for me, was mentally the hardest day. The boys did so much better and M and J played together. However, I discovered my sweet second is a worse speller then I realized and that he HATES to write. I knew he had a modified pencil grip but, he complains about even writing 5 sentences. I am investigating OT and going to look online to see if I can find some exercises to help him.
Tuesday our local school also requested an updated evaluation for M to see if he could qualify for full day. Most of it centers around the fact that he, as well, could use some OT but speech only students do not qualify, just full day. At first I thought, "No!" but, after talking to my Mom and Handsome, I realize there is nothing to lose by having him evaluated. I do not think he will qualify, I think he just needs a year of Pre-K. I have really been working to fill his workbox with a variety of activities, some with small manipulatives and today I snapped a pencil in half and then stuck a big pencil grip on it. That really seemed to help him. He holds the pencil correctly when he has that grip on it.
Tuesday L woke up in a serious funk. He did not know it was the first day of school at his old school but he laid on the couch for about 30 minutes with his face turned inwards. My heart broke for him. He mentioned several times that he would rather be at his school.
Tuesday was hard. I began to feel like I would be able to meet the educational needs of my children but not their emotional/physical ones. I am determined to do my best but they have such diverse needs. Wednesday was a good day and the Lord blessed me with a sense of peace. We decided to have M evaluated so that situation will work itself out (in NO WAY does this mean we are enrolling him if they say he qualifies) and L seemed more content. My main school issue is with N right now--he is doing a phonics and a spelling program so I am hoping that will assist him with his spelling. We will get him the OT and I will be able to research some stuff this weekend.
I read this wonderful excerpt from "Jesus Calling." It was actually from a day in April but I flipped it open and it applied to my situation perfectly. It talked about that, when there is not enough of something (time, money, etc), a person must fully rely on Jesus. In a way, homeschooling and the issues I am discovering with the boys prove that very point. There is no way that I can be everything my family needs right now. I must pray continually.
Today was okay--N seemed somewhat out of it and it took us longer to do things. But we made it through and I have heard from other Moms that those kind of days will come.
Blessings from this week:
1 - we put up a hummingbird feeder on Monday and had a hummingbird discover it the very next day! I would not say that we are overrun with hummingbirds but we have several now and enjoy them.
2- M has amazed me with his math progress and how much he understands about size and colors. I was excited that the pencil grip worked for him.
3- J actually ASKS to do school.
4- L seems a little less down.
Over the next several weeks, we will begin some classes at the co-op and, next week, the two oldest will get to go on a trip with Nanna and Poppa. I think it will be a great break for them and I am excited about the 3 day school week. :)
Handsome has really been supportive. He is teaching six classes and gets up at 4:30 to do his school work. He has been very supportive of me, especially this week.
Be with me, Lord.