When one of my children gets sick, there is instantly not enough of me to go around. Add in additional cleaning, laundry, and checking on...there just isn't enough.
Last Friday, J was "off." He didn't really eat, he took a nap, and he ran a low grade fever that night. Saturday he seemed better but then the diarrhea started. By Sunday morning, he seemed like his happy, chipper self so we headed up to the mountains.
Monday I felt awful. Nauseous and just overall yuck. However, I couldn't remember what I ate Sunday night (due to water drama) and I was tired and it had been quite a day. Plus we were driving around the mountains and I often get motion sickness. So I chalked it up to that. Monday night I was exhausted and was running a slight (99) fever. Tuesday I felt much, much better. Completely normal.
At one point, I did think, "Lord, if we have to get sick, let it be Wednesday AFTERNOON so I can go work Tuesday and we can do Summit."
Tuesday night, N tells me he feels nauseated. He felt nauseated much of the trip so I was not too alarmed. There have been a few times this year where, randomly, he will feel yucky (he has even vomited) and then that is it. At midnight, we woke up to a mighty crash and Handsome went into his room to discover that N had pulled the ladder to L's bunk bed down. N was having a terrible dream about lego minifigures and was trying to protect himself. Handsome came back into our room and told me, "N is talking crazy."
At that point, my heart sunk. Sure enough, when I went to his room, he was running a fever. N proceeded to throw up around 3 and, by morning, it was obvious he was fairly sick. His fever was low but he laid around all day (not even reading) and didn't want to eat-drink. By 4 p..m. that afternoon, he had the diarrhea too. Wednesday night, he threw up at 10:30 from a dead sleep and I was thinking I might have to take him to the ER if he kept going like that. Yet I asked for prayers on FB and he slept. He did not throw up again until 3 and by 4 a.m. that spell was over.
Yesterday was more of the same but he seemed worse, not better at all. He would barely drink for me and wouldn't really sit up. By 12:30, I had called the HoG hotline and they told me to take him to the ER for fluids but he didn't seem super dehydrated and I was nervous about exposing him to all of the germs in the ER. I called my doctor's office and they gave us a 2 p.m. appointment so we could come right in, skipping all of the other patients. We had to wait in our room for about 45 minutes but at least we were secluded. At this point, N could barely walk. While there, he started sipping Sprite but he was mostly laying down. I was convinced I would be leaving there to drive him to CHOA. He looked bad.
The dr told me his mouth was still wet but, if he didn't pee within the next 1-2 hours, he would have to go in. She said to get him to drink 10 ml every 10 minutes and that, even if he looked fine, he needed to go. By my guess, at that point, it had been 24 hours since he had urinated. She also announced that the flu test had come back positive.
I couldn't help it. I gasped. I was totally taken aback. N tested positive for flu, type A. She explained that the shot was only proving to be about 60% effective this year but that she had not seen a case of the flu with symptoms as mild as N's.
To make a long story slightly shorter--after much thought, here is what I think. We all got the shot in September/October. It is quite possible that Jude got a mild form of the flu Friday. When I asked where the he could have gotten it the doctor told me, at this point, it is simply everywhere. However, thanks to the shot, J was able to fight it off with minimum problems. My yuckiness Monday was probably not travel related but instead something similar and then N, who has the least resistance of all of us, came down with the most serious version. Even saying that, N's version was not NEARLY as bad as those who did not get the flu shot (his fever lasted less then a day, no chills, no cough, no runny nose) which I credit to the shot as well. The reason for the decline on Thursday was dehydration. Once I got him home and started forcing him to drink, he perked up and started urinating. Today he had a great morning but then wore himself out in the afternoon and took a nap.
I can not stop thanking God for his protection of our family. I am thankful we got the flu shot. I am thankful that the type of flu we got was in the 60%. I am thankful that Jude and I were not too sick and I have been fervently praying for protection over the other three. I am thankful that, as bad as N feels, he did not have to be hospitalized (which would have almost certainly been the case if he had NOT had the flu shot). I am still stunned that flu test was positive. I was thinking he just had a minor virus. My Mom swears she knew it was bad because N kept telling me, "I feel awful" and he is traditionally very tough.
So, tomorrow, is his piano recital and he may miss it. But I really don't care. We will make the decision in the morning and see how he feels. He is recovering fairly well; our biggest problem now is the AWFUL diarrhea and I want him to get completely healthy.
PRAISES THROUGH THIS CRAZY WEEK:
-2 friends were able to pick up L and M and take them to Summit Wednesday
-we all got the flu shot (BIG PRAISE!!)
-I found out he had the flu and the dr spent a great deal of time with us
-he did not have to be hospitalized and we have been able to keep him hydrated
-all of the love and prayers that have been offered for his safety
-I was supposed to go to the store Wednesday but did not. My friend Camille brought me tp (we had one roll left) but, other then that, we were able to hold out with groceries until I could go to the store tonight when Handsome got home.
-Handsome has had to work late every night this week at play practice. For the most part, I have been able to stay calm and positive even though I am flying solo.
-We were able to get some school done. As much as I wanted, no. But I only lost 1 day compared to what I had planned and was even able to do some school with N today.
-In the midst of all this, I had an issue with one of my tires. We were able to get it fixed Thursday and it was just a nail. I was afraid I would have to buy a new tire.
-Handsome was able to get a friend to take him to pick up my car Thursday and then took the other 3 boys for me so they didn't have to wait at the doctor's office with us.
-So far, all of my other guys are healthy and J is completely recovered.
-This all did not happen next week when we have a play, soccer practice, and consignment sale.
-Our insurance situation may finally be resolved and we are only $300 away from our out of pocket maximum.
In no way was this the week I had planned. From Sunday night with NO water and freezing temps to feeling awful Monday to baby-sitting Tuesday to sickness the rest of the week. And the house does not look perfect but we have made it. I just continue to pray that God will protect us and thank him for his goodness to us.
At that point, my heart sunk. Sure enough, when I went to his room, he was running a fever. N proceeded to throw up around 3 and, by morning, it was obvious he was fairly sick. His fever was low but he laid around all day (not even reading) and didn't want to eat-drink. By 4 p..m. that afternoon, he had the diarrhea too. Wednesday night, he threw up at 10:30 from a dead sleep and I was thinking I might have to take him to the ER if he kept going like that. Yet I asked for prayers on FB and he slept. He did not throw up again until 3 and by 4 a.m. that spell was over.
Yesterday was more of the same but he seemed worse, not better at all. He would barely drink for me and wouldn't really sit up. By 12:30, I had called the HoG hotline and they told me to take him to the ER for fluids but he didn't seem super dehydrated and I was nervous about exposing him to all of the germs in the ER. I called my doctor's office and they gave us a 2 p.m. appointment so we could come right in, skipping all of the other patients. We had to wait in our room for about 45 minutes but at least we were secluded. At this point, N could barely walk. While there, he started sipping Sprite but he was mostly laying down. I was convinced I would be leaving there to drive him to CHOA. He looked bad.
The dr told me his mouth was still wet but, if he didn't pee within the next 1-2 hours, he would have to go in. She said to get him to drink 10 ml every 10 minutes and that, even if he looked fine, he needed to go. By my guess, at that point, it had been 24 hours since he had urinated. She also announced that the flu test had come back positive.
I couldn't help it. I gasped. I was totally taken aback. N tested positive for flu, type A. She explained that the shot was only proving to be about 60% effective this year but that she had not seen a case of the flu with symptoms as mild as N's.
To make a long story slightly shorter--after much thought, here is what I think. We all got the shot in September/October. It is quite possible that Jude got a mild form of the flu Friday. When I asked where the he could have gotten it the doctor told me, at this point, it is simply everywhere. However, thanks to the shot, J was able to fight it off with minimum problems. My yuckiness Monday was probably not travel related but instead something similar and then N, who has the least resistance of all of us, came down with the most serious version. Even saying that, N's version was not NEARLY as bad as those who did not get the flu shot (his fever lasted less then a day, no chills, no cough, no runny nose) which I credit to the shot as well. The reason for the decline on Thursday was dehydration. Once I got him home and started forcing him to drink, he perked up and started urinating. Today he had a great morning but then wore himself out in the afternoon and took a nap.
I can not stop thanking God for his protection of our family. I am thankful we got the flu shot. I am thankful that the type of flu we got was in the 60%. I am thankful that Jude and I were not too sick and I have been fervently praying for protection over the other three. I am thankful that, as bad as N feels, he did not have to be hospitalized (which would have almost certainly been the case if he had NOT had the flu shot). I am still stunned that flu test was positive. I was thinking he just had a minor virus. My Mom swears she knew it was bad because N kept telling me, "I feel awful" and he is traditionally very tough.
So, tomorrow, is his piano recital and he may miss it. But I really don't care. We will make the decision in the morning and see how he feels. He is recovering fairly well; our biggest problem now is the AWFUL diarrhea and I want him to get completely healthy.
PRAISES THROUGH THIS CRAZY WEEK:
-2 friends were able to pick up L and M and take them to Summit Wednesday
-we all got the flu shot (BIG PRAISE!!)
-I found out he had the flu and the dr spent a great deal of time with us
-he did not have to be hospitalized and we have been able to keep him hydrated
-all of the love and prayers that have been offered for his safety
-I was supposed to go to the store Wednesday but did not. My friend Camille brought me tp (we had one roll left) but, other then that, we were able to hold out with groceries until I could go to the store tonight when Handsome got home.
-Handsome has had to work late every night this week at play practice. For the most part, I have been able to stay calm and positive even though I am flying solo.
-We were able to get some school done. As much as I wanted, no. But I only lost 1 day compared to what I had planned and was even able to do some school with N today.
-In the midst of all this, I had an issue with one of my tires. We were able to get it fixed Thursday and it was just a nail. I was afraid I would have to buy a new tire.
-Handsome was able to get a friend to take him to pick up my car Thursday and then took the other 3 boys for me so they didn't have to wait at the doctor's office with us.
-So far, all of my other guys are healthy and J is completely recovered.
-This all did not happen next week when we have a play, soccer practice, and consignment sale.
-Our insurance situation may finally be resolved and we are only $300 away from our out of pocket maximum.
In no way was this the week I had planned. From Sunday night with NO water and freezing temps to feeling awful Monday to baby-sitting Tuesday to sickness the rest of the week. And the house does not look perfect but we have made it. I just continue to pray that God will protect us and thank him for his goodness to us.